Oxford Baptist Church has enjoyed well over a Century of service to the Oxford community.
Oxford Baptist Church was founded in 1862. It is pictured on its original site, 124 High Street, Oxford.
The church moved to the present site at 166-168 High Street, in 1920. This was a traditional country church building, shown above, with a front entrance porch.
In 1962 the Sunday School Hall shown above was added to the rear of the church building. A small but faithful congregation was maintained over that time, served by many ministers, usually retired or part-time.
In 1978 the church took a step of faith and invited Bill and Jean Gray from Spreydon Baptist Church, in Christchurch, to serve as full-time pastors. Bill and Jean led the church into the Charismatic renewal which brought new life, fresh converts and a vision for future growth. Bill and Jean moved on to Wellington in 1981, and in 1982, Pastors, Maurice and Miriam Atkinson, were called from the Christchurch New Life Centre.
In 1999, a new youth hall was built
in 2000 the Oxford Early Learning Centre, which was established behind the church in 1988, was further extended and is a thriving regional business today.
January / February 2011 the building built in 1920 was further extended and refurbished.